Thursday, August 12, 2010

90 High Street

This week has been all about exams. We had class Monday and a "review session" Tuesday. This "review session" consisted of 2 hours of going around the room debating whether law students should use laptops in class. Do you handwrite your notes? What about laptops for exams? Oh, actually, the first hour was spent going around the table and each telling the professor a question that we would put on the exam- while he took notes. Not that I'm calling the guy a liar, but I didn't really think he had the exam prepared. Needless to say, I left feeling completely unprepared. Even moreso than I was during- as evidenced by that fact that I got called on to answer the question "when is it wrong to breach?" and just simply refused to answer because I was too tired to think. (It was ok in the end because the exam question ended up being very similar to mine). Monday night was spent crunching out a paper on human rights for tutorial- I didn't think I had one more in me but actually managed to put out a decent work product. Our final tutorial Tuesday was such a relief!

We had our final formal high table dinner Tuesday night honoring all of the tutorial professors and the staff that has attended to us during our stay. Each tutorial group had to come up with a poem for their professor- which sounded pretty terrible to me- but our group actually came up with a funny anagram definitely had the best presentation. After dinner, we grabbed beers in the college pub with the whole group which was really fun. Of course, Professor Winship and Professor Lischer got penced, and Lischer even ended up getting Drew! I left a little early because I didn't want to be hungover for reading day but the rest of the group ended up at the King's Arms and had a pretty fun night.

I spent Wednesday compiling the most massive 70 page outline for contracts (a collective effort my the class, not just by myself!) and attempting to cram everything about English, French, and German contracts that my little brain could fit. Which actually ended up in watching Gossip Girl re-runs to try to calm myself down about the massive amount of material and hoping that the exam would consist of multiple choice questions related to ice-breaker answers.

Even though I was planning on getting up at 6AM this morning to study, I'm my own worst enemy and turned off my alarm clock but got up at 8 just in time to grab coffee and review before heading to the exam. The group is split into 2 classes: some taking income tax and some taking contracts. And considering that contracts was completely open note and I could take in my school project of an outline and that the income tax students could only have their code book and a calculator- I was surprisingly ok with the idea of a 3 hour hand-written essay exam. Anything to avoid codes and calculators. Especially with Bob next to me muttering "shit" every couple of minutes. I don't think I'm cut out for income tax. Also, I don't think I have ever written that fast before. Actually, I think it was to my own advantage that I thought the test was supposed to end 30 minutes before it actually did since I rushed to put everything in and had enough time to review and write a conclusion. Anyway, exam went well. Got to nap after and study for my tutorial exam tomorrow- 2 hours hand-written on the English legal system, closed book. Not really looking forward to it but VERY happy to have this one out of the way!

No comments:

Post a Comment