Monday, August 9, 2010

CHEERS! British Beerfest & Blenheim Palace

College Pub after High Table with some of the girls and our guest speaker Kevin
So, because tutorial were on Tuesday this week, I turned in my 10 page paper and then headed straight to High Table where apparently I celebrated a little too much! After the college pub and a Persian club in business attire, Kathryn had to pull me out of bed late for class on Wednesday. Wednesday night was chill- walked with the girls to the Bear pub for bbq and Wagamama for dinner Thursday.

After some hardcore resting for 2 days, I headed to London Friday to meet up with Cathy and Kara! I was planning to do a tour of the Cotswolds with the girls on Saturday, but unfortunately they could only book for Friday so I had to miss out :( But I hopped on the bus to London and walked straight to Harrod's from Victoria. I've been to Harrod's before but forgot how much I love it! Their Hermes tie selection is ridiculous. Why am I impressed by things like this? Anyway, got to eat sushi and grab a glass of wine at the bar and after wandering around shopping for awhile found out they had an entire "pet kingdom" floor dedicated to Ellie so I had a field day. I finally got in touch with Kara and grabbed a taxi to her flat so that we could walk over to Earl's Court for the Great British Beer Festival! The festival was so fun- even though Tony and I were mostly hanging out at the American table! Some guy asked me if I had ever had "Budvar" before. Apparently, this is a fancy name for Budweiser. So, after the festival, we hopped on the tube and ate at this awesome Mexican food restaurant with the group and grabbed beers at Brogan's, one of their fav hangouts (where we had lots of Coors Light- and caught Tony staring out the window where we guessed he was missing Mike). I had so much fun with them I didn't want to leave! So I shacked up with Cathy and we all headed to Victoria in the morning. Kara, Tony and Cathy headed to Dover to go to a bed & breakfast on the beach and I was headed back to Oxford.
Saturday night, the girls and I grabbed dinner, and lots of red wine, at this cute little French Brasserie. We had lots of fun talking over a long dinner and made plans for a day trip for Sunday. In the afternoon, we headed out to Blenheim Palace- the birthplace of the cavalier! Kathryn, who also has a cavalier king charles spaniel, and I were really looking forward to all things CKCS. The breed originates from Blenheim- most specifically the orange and white color- the quintessential British lapdog, from whom Ellie could use some manners lessons. Kathryn said they must have seen a dozen on their Cotswolds trip. The Palace was amazing! Winston Churchill's birthplace and the home of the Duke of Malborough- and a recent film location for the Young Victoria with Emily Blunt- the rooms were amazingly ornate with gorgeous grounds. Very disappointed that we couldn't take pics inside. But even MORE disappointed that there wasn't any cavalier stuff! We kept a count and did see 6 in the oil paintings but the place seemed to be more dedicated to boring things like Winston Churchill and history. So after walking around the gardens, we headed home and got ready for dinner at this amazing restaurant on the river, The Trout. Kathryn, Jane, and Audrey walked the 4 miles to get there, but Alison and I weren't feeling up to it so we decided to grab a cab and meet them there. Even though I had a whole fish to de-bone, the food was awesome and we had a blast! After dinner, we ordered a bottle of champagne and sat out by the river to celebrate our last week in Oxford. It has really flown by! Everyone is ready to go home and this week is definitely crunch time for final exams but its all very bittersweet. It was definitely a gorgeous night in the English countryside with good friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment